I love cornhole. I was introduced to the game when I was attending college in Tennessee. I’m not sure if anyone was playing it in California back then or if I just was living under a rock. Probably the later. Anyway I felt like my party and my backyard wouldn’t be complete without our own set. We had inherited the boards from my brother in-law. He had made them for his wedding and I had painted his and his wife’s monograms on them. I still loved the border on them buuuut the monogram wasn’t gonna work. Since the party was Fiesta themed (mostly due to my love of Tequila...) I went with cactus. You can see the progression below.
We didn’t get any bean bags in the deal (or theft? Sorry Chris and Natalie!). So I had to make my own. eHow had a really nice tutorial on how to make cornhole bags but I really only needed to get the proper dimensions and weight. They also gave a nice break down of the different fillers which I had no idea was such a point of contention.
We ended up getting bird seed as the filler. Its not listed, we even went to the feed store in town to find feed corn but to no avail. The bird seed does have some feed corn in it so I feel that makes it pretty legit. No? Eh whatever. Back to making the bags.... regulation size is 6 inches once finished so I cut out 16 7x7 square pieces of duck canvas. (I always have a lot of duck canvas around.) If you’re doing two different colors of canvas you’d need to do 8 pieces of each but I had another plan! I had seen this tutorial from Style Me Pretty about how to make coasters. What do coasters have to do with this project? Nothing. But I loved the pattern they had for their coasters. They even had a link so you can download the pattern. So I did. And used my Silhouette Cameo (best Christmas present EVER!) to cut out a vinyl stencil that I attached to a screen. I decided that I didn’t want just one papel picado pattern. I wanted two. So using the first one I downloaded as a template I drew a second one. I scanned the drawing in and then again used my Cameo to cut it out.
Now I was ready to print. I mixed up two different colors a dark pink and an orangey coral. I divided up the 7” pieces. Half were pink, half coral. And half of each color were the new pattern.
After they dried I paired like colors together and sewed them together (face to face) leaving a decent size gap. Turning them through that hole was a struggle! But once they’re printed side out with the seams inside they look sooooo cool!!! Now its time to fill ‘em up! They are meant to be filled with one pound of filler. Luckily I have a little scale for mailing orders from my Etsy shop. I put my bowl on top, turned the dial to zero and then put bird seed in the bowl until it showed one pound.
After they were all filled I had to stitch up the openings. This part I hand stitched so I could hide the seam. I find slip stitches a challenge, but on duck canvas it was a finger tip killer! I made use of my thimbles for sure. But they look so good!!!!! You could totally use your machine if you wanted to though, it would probably make them hardier. I’ve already got one casualty I need to repair.
They did take a few games to break in. During my birthday I saw something I had never seen before, a bag get itself perfectly wedged in the hole without going through. And then it happened again. I guest the canvas was a little stiff from the paint. It hasn’t happened again, and they have definitely softened up. I really love my set!